braille and audio

evaristegalois
I have now read several times that the cool thing about docbook is that it provides output in braille and audio as well, for example here:

The advantage is that one SGML source file can generate any type of output: Postscript, PDF, RTF, HTML, QNX Helpviewer, even audio files or braille. (http://developers.cogentrts.com/cogent/prepdoc/pd-single-sourcingwithdocbook.html)

I work with blind people in an educational setting and would love to use docbook to provide content to students. But despite extensive searching on this forum, the docbook wiki, and duckduckgo (google), I cannot find anything about braille or audio output. I have successfully used docbook to create html and pdf output. Please tell me how I can convert an sgml or xml file to brf (braille) or a sound file (any format) using an input file that I've already successfully converted to pdf and html.

Re: braille and audio

Bob Stayton
Hi,
As far as I know, there is no tool to directly convert DocBook XML to
Braille.  However, the DocBook XSL stylesheets can convert DocBook to HTML
or PDF, and those can be converted to Braille, according to this website:

  http://www.brailletranslator.org/

Similarly with audio, as this tool seems to be able to convert HTML to MP3:

  http://www.naturalreaders.com/

I have not used either of these tools, and other people might have other
recommendations.

FYI, here is a report on an attempt to use Apache FOP to generate Braille:

  http://code.google.com/p/daisy-pipeline/wiki/BrailleFopRenderingReport

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises

davep@dpawson.co.uk
On 30/10/13 16:41, evaristegalois wrote:

> I have now read several times that the cool thing about docbook is that it
> provides output in braille and audio as well, for example here:
>
> The advantage is that one SGML source file can generate any type of output:
> Postscript, PDF, RTF, HTML, QNX Helpviewer, even audio files or braille.
> (http://developers.cogentrts.com/cogent/prepdoc/pd-single-sourcingwithdocbook.html)
>
> I work with blind people in an educational setting and would love to use
> docbook to provide content to students. But despite extensive searching on
> this forum, the docbook wiki, and duckduckgo (google), I cannot find
> anything about braille or audio output. I have successfully used docbook to
> create html and pdf output. Please tell me how I can convert an sgml or xml
> file to brf (braille) or a sound file (any format) using an input file that
> I've already successfully converted to pdf and html.

Locale is the problem.
Yes, it is possible to generate embosser ready braille from docbook using
the existing stylesheets, modifying the output. The formatting is the
real issue, line length, pagination, indent etc.

To my knowledge it has not been attempted directly from docbook XML.

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.

RE: braille and audio

evaristegalois
Thank you! That's valuable information. I hope they make progress with the Apache FOP. I use liblouis all the time, it seems this is what they will be using as well.

Evariste

> From: [hidden email]

> To: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [docbook] braille and audio
> Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 11:42:53 -0700
>
> Hi,
> As far as I know, there is no tool to directly convert DocBook XML to
> Braille. However, the DocBook XSL stylesheets can convert DocBook to HTML
> or PDF, and those can be converted to Braille, according to this website:
>
> http://www.brailletranslator.org/
>
> Similarly with audio, as this tool seems to be able to convert HTML to MP3:
>
> http://www.naturalreaders.com/
>
> I have not used either of these tools, and other people might have other
> recommendations.
>
> FYI, here is a report on an attempt to use Apache FOP to generate Braille:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/daisy-pipeline/wiki/BrailleFopRenderingReport
>
> Bob Stayton
> Sagehill Enterprises

Re: braille and audio

Chet Ensign
Evariste, you may want to contact the people at Bookshare.org (http://benetech.org/our-programs/literacy/bookshare/), a part of the Benetech social entrepreneur organization. They make print documents available in a range of formats and I know that their president Jim Fruchterman told me that they love DocBook because when they get content from a publisher tagged to the standard, it is pretty much push button from there.

I don't have any specific contacts but you'll probably get a reply from their main website contact. They are friendly folks.

/chet

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 1:04 PM, Evariste Galois <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you! That's valuable information. I hope they make progress with the Apache FOP. I use liblouis all the time, it seems this is what they will be using as well.

Evariste

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [docbook] braille and audio
> Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 11:42:53 -0700
>
> Hi,
> As far as I know, there is no tool to directly convert DocBook XML to
> Braille. However, the DocBook XSL stylesheets can convert DocBook to HTML
> or PDF, and those can be converted to Braille, according to this website:
>
> http://www.brailletranslator.org/
>
> Similarly with audio, as this tool seems to be able to convert HTML to MP3:
>
> http://www.naturalreaders.com/
>
> I have not used either of these tools, and other people might have other
> recommendations.
>
> FYI, here is a report on an attempt to use Apache FOP to generate Braille:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/daisy-pipeline/wiki/BrailleFopRenderingReport
>
> Bob Stayton
> Sagehill Enterprises

/chet